Letting Advice for Tenants – A Few Simple Tips:
- Location, location, location! – deciding on an area which suits your living and work needs is possibly the most important aspect of renting a property. Be sure to give this a lot of consideration before making your choice. Luckily, Dillon Marshall has an abundance of properties in a variety of locations in counties throughout Ireland so lack of choice won’t be a problem for you!
- Budget – what you can afford will always have an impact on your choice of area and the property you opt to rent. We offer a wide range of properties at different prices so finding one that’s affordable is definitely possible
- Length of tenancy – How long do you intend to lease a property for? Are you likely to stay in the area long-term or short-term? These factors will affect the type of lease you require. We have properties available on both short and long-term leases
- How soon do you need to move in? – Allocating sufficient time to search for the right place is always an advantage. If you know you’re going to need to find a new property to rent, try as much as possible to allow for a minimum of 5-6 weeks to find a new place. Otherwise, you are likely to make a rushed decision and move to an area/property you are not 100% satisfied with and regret the move later.
- Deciding on a property to rent is a decision that generally should not be made swiftly – give yourself time to consider all your options and ensure the place you choose ticks all of the boxes on your list!
Letting Criteria – What We Require From Tenants
Once an agreement has been reached on a letting, Dillon Marshall require each of the following from new tenants before deposits are paid or keys exchange hands:
- Tenants full names
- Copy of ID for all tenants, e.g. Passport or driving licence
- PPS Numbers
- References – at least one reference from a previous Landlord and at least one work reference confirming a tenant is in full time employment
- Bank details – we establish a standing order for monthly payment of rent from tenants in all properties we manage
- Deposit – one month’s rent is required up front as a deposit on any property